ToLt Day 13 – Edinburgh 2

After our first day in Edinburgh, we decided to take it slow. So we took our sweet time in the morning, cooking breakfast, eating it, getting ready for the day. It wasn’t before noon when we were out and about. It was supposed to be a 1. rainy, then 2. cloudy day – all in all the worst of our three days here, so we decided it was a good day for shopping. We set out on foot to Prince’s Street and the shopping began. Siobhan found a whole bag full of interesting books. There was a book on Scottish baking among them, so we found a little store that sold everything for the kitchen, where she could get cup and tablespoon measurements. So now she is all set for baking her own oat cakes. Which she loves.

From there we took the North Bridge into Old Town. By then the sun was out and gave us a really nice sunny day. I found a wedding gift, I was looking for, and a few souvenirs to bring back home. How could you not? Also I finally found a scarf for me. How funny is this? You’re sweating your way through Old Town, which was not only hot but really crowded because of The Fringe, and you go buy woolen scarves? Well, that’s Scotland for you. Good woolen products can be purchased all year round. Thank God. I love wool!

I also found a place where they let me try the Harris Gin. It doesn’t only smell delicious, it has a real nice taste to it. But it left me content, so I didn’t have to spend my non-existent budget on a bottle of it. The time will come.

Sammy had a wonderful day out again. I lost count of the many people who stopped to pet him. There was this guy from London and his friend from L.A., in Edinburgh for The Fringe of course, who sat next to us in dog friendly Starbucks. They couldn’t get enough of him. Neither could the two ladies sitting behind us. But that was just the start. Sammy was adored and petted and cuddled whereever he went. If you’re traveling with a dog to Edinburgh, sometimes it makes sense to ask to take him into shops. There are quite a few who allow that, which makes things just so much easier…

We made our way back over the Royal Mile to get some food from Co-op, and then we went home for a late lunch. Tea, you could call it. It was five o’clock, after all. This time Siobhan was getting tired, but she pulled herself together, not wanting to miss anything, and came with us. While we were walking down to Grassmarket and up a few closes, I started to feel that I would like to intentionally get lost. I had wanted to get lost in the old town, but we were transported to newer parts of the town, instead. I still have to figure out which way we went. However we made it back to the Royal mile at 9.30 p.m. We took a drink at dog friendly Ensign Ewart up on the Castle Hill, before taking our place at the street to look at the bands when they come down there from the Tattoo. We did and it was lovely, as they would say here. Even though only a the last band actually plays coming down.

After that we called it a night and headed home. We’re at the breakfast table now – no breakfast, yet, though – writing our perspective diaries while the dog is still fast asleep, dreaming of all the dog lovers he met so far and processing all his experiences. As one can see and sometimes hear.

We are getting ready for our last day in Edinburgh, before heading off to Yorkshire, our stop on the way south. There is a certain sense of finale now. It was hard letting go of the Highlands and the Islands and we are still yearning for them. But now we’re physically out, we’re detaching ourselves slowly. Edinburgh was a good place to say goodbye to this unique and wonderful part of the world. But Edinburgh in August is also way too high energy for me. There are about 300 Fringe venues (or more?), judging from the numbers I saw, and the city is not so very huge. So there are crowds everywhere. Sammy is a dog who can deal very well with all the commotion, but I still have to watch out all the time that no one steps on his paws. Of course hardly anyone expects a dog round there, although there are a few around. Then there’s music and acts just about everywhere, sometimes you can hear three stages at once. There is a backpack to be carried, money to get in and out of said backpack. Not to mention the camera and equipment. To me, it’s all too much. So I am not sad to be leaving town tomorrow and head off to quieter surroundings like the Yorkshire Dales. Also, I am starting to look forward to coming home. Which, while we were in the Highlands, ways unthinkable. So that’s a good thing.

Kommentar verfassen

Trage deine Daten unten ein oder klicke ein Icon um dich einzuloggen:

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Abmelden /  Ändern )

Google Foto

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Google-Konto. Abmelden /  Ändern )


Du kommentierst mit Deinem Twitter-Konto. Abmelden /  Ändern )


Du kommentierst mit Deinem Facebook-Konto. Abmelden /  Ändern )

Verbinde mit %s